Beginning in 2021, the School of Arts at Peking University will invite international students who want to study in China submit applications to pursue doctoral degree in History and Theory of Art. Applicants will be evaluated according to several combined criteria. The details of the program are as follows:
1. About the Program
This four-year Ph.D. program will welcome 10 international students in the Fall 2021. Our program meets the needs of students who want to pursue advanced studies and research in the fields of art theory, art history, art criticism, and art management. For further details, please refer to the Peking University International Student Admissions Directory.
2. Program Information
1) Full-time registration required;
2) Four-year Program;
3) Language of Instruction: English.
3. Admission Requirements
1) Applicants must be citizens of countries other than China, have valid passports, be in good health, and be of good standing. While in China, applicants will be expected to abide by the laws and regulations of the Chinese government and by the rules of the university.
2) Applicants must hold a master’s degree.
3) Applicants must demonstrate good academic performance and must meet the English Proficiency Requirements set by the program.
4) Applicants must be in good health and meet the prescribed physical examination standards.
4. Application Timeline
Please refer tohttp://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/HOME.htm for details.
5. Steps of Application
Please refer to http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/HOME.htm for details.
6. Submission of Application Materials
1) Online Application Form. Please use the Online Application System for International Students of Peking University (http://www.studyatpku.com) and login to start your application. When completed, print out the Online Application Form and attach a recent photo of yourself (the photo must have been recently taken and bear an identifiable resemblance to the applicant).
2) Original or notarized copy of your highest Certificate of Degree (in either Chinese or English).
3) Original or notarized copy of your Official Transcripts (in either Chinese or English).
4) Statement of Purpose (including your research interests and plans). No less than 3000 words. The format is available at http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/HOME.htm
5) 2 Letters of Reference. Your letter writers must be Professors. The format is available at http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/HOME.htm
6) English Proficiency Requirements.
For Native English speakers and applicants who completed college education in a country where the only language of instruction was English, no English Proficiency is required.
For Non-Native English speakers, English Proficiency must be demonstrated by submitting official test scores of either TOEFL or IELTS. Minimum Scores: TOEFL: 100. IELTS (Academic Test): 7.0.
7) A Copy of your Master’s thesis.
8) Copy of your main passport page (should be clearly legible). Please also make sure your passport is valid.
9) Your published research papers (we only require the Abstract and Table of Contents parts) and other academic output of yours (if available). NOTE: ALL the documents must be submitted with duplicates (one original and one copy).Please submit all required documents in person to the International Student Office by the deadlines. If you choose to mail the documents, place all the documents in one sealed envelope, indicating “Graduate Application Materials” on the envelope (Application materials will not be returned).
7. Application Fees
Please refer tohttp://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/HOME.htm for details.
8. Departmental Preliminary Review
The International Student Office will assess the documents provided by applicants to assure that they meet the standards set by the program. Then, the documents of qualified applicants will be transferred to the Academic Affairs Office of the School of Arts by March 1, 2021.
The admission decisions are made by the Admissions Committee of the School of Arts. All aspects of each application are carefully and thoughtfully reviewed by the committee, using a combination of criteria such as: the applicant’s undergraduate and graduate schools, major, academic level, character, and developmental potential in the applied professional field. After careful consideration, the committee identifies applicants who will be included in the final review.
9. Departmental Final Review
In March/April of each year, the School of Arts will conduct a final review. During the final review, the Admissions Committee of the School of Arts conducts a comprehensive assessment of the professional level and language ability of the applicants. Applicants will give an oral presentation to the committee members regarding their academic research experiences, their understanding of and opinions on the applied program, and their plans regarding the upcoming studies and research.
Based on the results of both the preliminary and the final reviews, the Admissions Committee identifies and recommends top applicants and then submits the preliminary decision to the Graduate School Admissions Office for further review.
10. Admission Decisions
1) The final admission decision will be announced by the International Student Office.
2) The International Student Office will begin sending off documents such as admission letters and visa application forms to admitted applicants in late June 2021.
11. Academic Calendar
Admitted students are required to register for courses at the beginning of September 2021. The registration dates and deadlines will be indicated on the admission letter. Accepted students must come to Peking University to complete registration in strict accordance with the dates specified in the admission letter.
12. Tuition and Scholarship
The tuition fee of the Ph.D. program will be RMB 50,000 Yuan per year, and RMB 200,000 Yuan in total for four years. Admitted student can apply for scholarships through the following ways.
1) Chinese Government Scholarship. The scholarship application should be directed to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in the applicant’s home country. The application time is from now to April 2021 (it may vary for different countries). Please find out the application deadline for your country in advance. Part of the tuition fees and some other fees, such as dormitory fees, allowance and insurance can be covered if the application is successful.
2) Beijing Government Scholarship for International Students. （Please contact the International Students Division at Peking University for details of this scholarship.）
3) Peking University Scholarship for International Students. （Please contact the International Students Division at Peking University for details of this scholarship.）
More details can be found at http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn./HOME.htm
13. Awarding of the Degree
To be awarded your degree, you are required to complete all the graduate credit coursework indicated in your “Training Plan” with qualifying grades, complete your dissertation, and pass the oral defense of your dissertation. After the review and approval of the Degree Assessment Committee of Peking University, the corresponding degree will be awarded.